Top Tips For Eating And Drinking Plus Cooking Healthy
Simple Food Recipes
10 Yummy Breakfast Recipes
Awesome Low Fat Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Mischievous Maple Apples
Mini Quiches Recipe
Peter's Pasta Bake - My Own Recipe
QUICK BEAN AND RICE BURRITOS RECIPE
Sweet Potato & Kale Green Curry with tofu
other sweet potato and kale recipes
- Keep To Your Meal Routine - Try to eat at roughly the same time each day. whether this is two or five times a day it will help avoid unplanned meals and snacking which can often be high in calories (*TIPS - pick a pattern that will fit your daily routine and stick to it, if you tend to snack then try and snack around the same time each day, plan when you intend to eat and check at the end of the day if you have achieved this)
- Go Reduced Fat - choose a reduced fat version of your favourite food for example a dairy product,spreads and salad dressings.use these sparingly as some can still be high in fat. (*TIP - change to semi - skimmed milk and save 60 calories a day - this is Based on consuming 300mls of milk a day)
- Look At The Labels - Be careful about food claims. Check the fat and sugar content on food labels when shopping and preparing food. (*TIP - a low fat digestive biscuit has the same amount of calories as a standard digestive biscuit at 70 calories)
- Caution With Your Portions - Don't heap food on your plate (except vegetables). Think twice before having second helpings. (*TIP - Put away left-overs as as soon as you've served)
- Think About Your Drinks - Choose water or sugar-free squashes.Unsweetened fruit juice is high in natural sugar so limit it to one glass per day (200ml or 1/3 pint). Alcohol is high in calories so limit the amount you drink. (*TIP - a pint of ordinary strength beer (3-4%) has two units of alcohol and 182 calories)
- Focus On Your Food - Slow down. Don't eat on the go or whilst watching TV. Eat at a table if possible. (*TIP 1 - Eating meals at the table will help you focus on the amount of food that you actually eat. *TIP 2 - don't eat whilst walking,wait until you get there.)
- Don't Forget Your 5-A-Day : Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day , whether fresh,frozen or tinned (400g in total.) *TIP 1 - a medium sized apple or banana or three heaped table spoons of peas is one portion. *Tip 2 - try having fruit or vegetables with every meal, this makes it easier to reach your five a day.
Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 frozen + 1 regular banana
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Medjool dates
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1/8 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Optional toppings: shredded coconut, fresh strawberries, chopped unsalted almonds and rolled oats
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add your favourite toppings.
Hearty Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 whole grain bagel
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- ¼ - ½ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- crack eggs into a microwave safe mug and scramble
- tear spinach and mix with egg in the mug
- place in microwave and cook for 3 minutes (or until eggs are cooked thoroughly)
- while eggs are cooking. toast bagel.
- top bagel with egg mixture, cheese and spicy mustard
Jacked Up Turkey Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1-2 tbsp spicy mustard
- 3 oz. lean deli meat turkey
- 1 slice pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices cucumber
- 1-2 slices lettuce
- Spread spicy mustard on one or both slices of bread.
- Add turkey and cheese on one slice of bread.
- Add cut vegetables on the other slice of bread.
- Close sandwich and enjoy!
Double Bean Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup canned Great Northern beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup canned diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning blend, slightly drained
- ¾ cup quinoa, cooked
- 5 cups fresh spinach or mixed greens
- Optional: 2 tbsp oil and vinegar dressing or 1 tbsp hummus
- Optional: Wrap salad in a tortilla and eat like a burrito for a quick on-the-go option.
- Prepare quinoa as directed on package.
- Combine all ingredients (except greens) together in a bowl and mix well.
- Place mixture on top of greens and enjoy!
Cilantro and Lime Salmon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2-lb. salmon fillet
1. Puree the oil, lime (juice and zest), cilantro and garlic in a food processor until smooth.
2.Place the salmon on foil on a baking sheet, pat dry.
3.Season with salt and pepper and spread on the cilantro/lime m
4.Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven until cooked, about 10-15 m
5.Enjoy with grilled asparagus and roasted sweet potatoes for a well-balanced meal!
Sweet And Nutty Energy Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup nut butter of choice (I use almond butter)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened corn flakes
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Makes 20-25 bites
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture at a time and form balls. Use a small ice cream scooper to create the optimal bite-size portion.
- Once all bites are formed, refrigerate them for 1 hour. After an hour, remove and enjoy!
- These bites are a simple and portable snack you can make ahead of time, store in plastic bags and take with you whenever you need something quick!