Portrait magic


Tablo reader up chevron

How to shoot portraits

To make a good portrait you need two things: some technical skills (about 20% of success), creative flight of fantasies (the remaining 80% of success). With the second, I can’t help you, but I’m happy to help with the first.    

Remember, photographing a portrait is very simple. This is done in three steps:   

 - choose the camera mode A.   

 - open the diaphragm to the end, i.e. set the minimum value of "f /" (this will ensure the blurriness of the background)    

- we photograph, we look at the screen, if the photo is too dark or light, we adjust the exposure.      

In my opinion there is nothing difficult. But there are a couple more tricks to make your portrait even more successful. First, it is a portrait lens. You may check some options here -  https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/portrait-lenses

Lovers just mast hev. Beginners recommend to wait with the purchase of a portrait painter to complete confidence in the further passion for photography. You need a portrait lens for one simple reason - it is the most high-aperture lens, its aperture is in the range from f / 1.2 to f / 2.8, for example, I use 50mm f / 1.4, but I will tell you honestly that you do not need such aperture, t. to. at f / 1.4 aperture, the focal plane is so small that you cannot control it properly and you will have everything out of focus, so you can safely take the cheaper 50mm f / 1.8.    

There is still one very important point, the depth of field also depends on the size of the matrix, that is, you can not make a good professional portrait on an ordinary soap box.    For this you will need a SLR camera.    

Light, light, light! It builds not only portraiture, but the whole picture as art. You need to know that the right light is the key to a great portrait shot. Here I can give the following tips:    

- Try to take pictures during the day, on the street or in a room well lit with daylight.  

- Avoid too bright direct daylight (summertime is usually). 

- If you are photographing during the day against the sun, do not forget to turn on the flash, even if it is built-in. 

Remember, flash is a good way to remove shadows from your face when you are photographing in bright daylight.

Comment Log in or Join Tablo to comment on this chapter...

You might like Sophie's other books...